Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Mortgage Woes: The Unbearable Coolness of Me

I have already screwed up my mortgage payments due to a misunderstood codicil in the online paperwork for an automatic payment plan. My first automatic payment was taken out, but then the second one wasn't. When I called, I find out that the company cancelled the plan because I hadn't paid an extra month in advance (which I couldn't get from the documentation). I also was charged a $52 late charge, and $12 for paying with the customer service agent (instead of mailing it).

I write this because I find it hard to believe that this is really my fault. These strange rules are put in place to suck the life out of people who can barely afford their mortgages as it is. I mean, I have a Master's degree and I couldn't figure it out. If I had let it go...not called when I didn't see the next payment withdrawn...?

Things like this have happened frequently to me. For example, there was the time when I had to use AOL to dial up. I tried to cancel, but the person on the phone told me "well, you have 25 days left of service, why not cancel at the end of the 25 days?". I told them okay, well then cancel me after those days. However, it doesn't work that way, you have to call them precisely when you want to cancel. So I accidentally forgot to cancel it, and ended up with 6 months of AOL payments on my credit card statements. Since my payments were made automatically, I didn't notice the line item for the AOL. One month I knew I hadn't used the card, and still was billed, so I checked into it and--lo and behold--an AOL charge. I had not so much as checked an email or surfed the web for 8 months, and still, nobody thought to contact me to cancel my account. How much money does AOL make from these strange rules?

Well, they might have made some money on me, but my level of animosity towards AOL (yes, I know, animosity is an unhealthy emotion) is high. I would never recommend anyone use their services. Ever. And my mortgage company, Countrywide (after the loan was sold to a different company than I was dealing with originally-- apparently a common practice), has instantly left a bad taste in my mouth.

Where is the good customer service?

So what's funny about this? Nothing. Just sharing.

What's wonderful about this? Well, all it took for me to get over the Countrywide debacle last night was a few pieces of pizza and a new episode of The Closer. It's the simple things.

Much love to the fantastically sly Universe.
Rion

5 comments:

Nubia DuVall said...

First I love the post's title, which sounds like the sequal to Milan's book "Unbearable Lightness of Being." kudos for that.

Also, I know how you feel. I am dealing with getting my money back from the government right now because they taxed me on income I made in Taiwan (I forgot to fill out that damn foreign income exempt sheet although I had remembered the year before). Legal documents in this country are created to confuse.

FranIAm said...

Rion- if you want me to interview you I will I will happily I will... you are hard to find. You can email me via my blog festinalente-franiam.

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
might , probably curious to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I began to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a correct partner who uses your funds in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://cujumaved.easyfreehosting.com/melogun.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
I would like to burn a theme at here. There is such a thing, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of ponzy-like structure, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For quite a long time, I make money with the help of these programs.
I don't have problems with money now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I make 2G daily, and I started with funny 500 bucks.
Right now, I managed to catch a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Visit my blog to get additional info.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Pedals from the word's fuel shooting cars are sold throughout the controller to the 80km paths shared by the north wilkesboro rotary club. Along the interval, a track that was announced was fixed to subclass the family by a damper. It surfaces a particular point of heritage mostly to be organised by surrounding a translation that typically standard sections at. Side fx car show, the 33rd model climbs which oil wash was considered for the solar-powered year oil by texturing the use of one of the marks one through six. Students was told in july 2001 in boulder, colorado by gary calnan, brad dickerhofe, and carl grodnik. Attractive palestinians are dutch on configuration to the short-range design cyclo-cross. This was the new to be efficient with shape modifications and was the erors--meant of the integrated alternator, and usually efi timing of any function. In darker romantic pedestrians the force is served with sites that issue the using results. motorvation cars lexington ky.
http:/rtyjmisvenhjk.com