Monday, July 9, 2007

Eight Things You Don't Know About Me*

*Thanks for the tag from FranIAm at http://festinalente.blogspot.com

  1. I have always enjoyed reading dictionaries, encyclopedias, and other great listings. I don't read them like novels, of course, but like many sudden fictions strung together. "Sudden Fiction" is a term I learned at Bard College from my collegiate mentor, poet Robert Kelly. He was the one that urged me to go to Paris and become a poet. Sometimes I regret that I didn't go.
  2. I feel being from an agricultural valley in Alaska, the Matanuska-Susitna Valley, has crafted my psyche in a way that being from Des Moines, Iowa could never have. I generally despise television shows set in Alaska (Northern Exposure, Men in Trees) because they portray a picture that is so unlike Alaska as to be in turns comical and slanderous.
  3. I like smelling things. Everything I pick up in the grocery store, clothing left on my couch, glasses of water, my own hair, my fingernails for errant traces of tuna salad sandwich or raw onion from cooking, books at used bookstores, cell phones, bottled iced tea before drinking. For some reason, my smeller is like my seal of authenticity or purity or status. Without a sniff you never know. I smell detergent in water and food and won't eat or drink from receptacles not entirely free from cleaning products (that most can't detect).
  4. I dream about killing people or running away from people all the time. I promise, I am not psychologically disturbed, and I can't hurt a spider without apologizing first. However, I dream of hacking up zombies and other bad guys on a regular basis. Maybe I watch too much CSI.
  5. I am a fraternal twin. I suppose fellow bloggers wouldn't know this. My twin lives in Madison, WI. Being a twin has been a remarkable influence. Maybe we are sororietal twins, since we are two sisters but not identical?
  6. I have the worst sense of direction known to man or woman. I have a friend I've known since high school, whose parents' house I went to on a number of occasions-- I could not recognize or locate her house without directions. When I finally got my GPS, it was like I saw streams of glory from the firmament. No more getting irretrievably lost. One time I was 1 hour late to an interview, then I got lost getting home for 2 hours. In fact, in my current position I was 1/2 hour late to the interview (due to traffic, then getting lost).
  7. I have a special fondness for trees, rocks, acorns, and squirrels.
  8. I believe everything is improved with peanut butter. I have had rice, spaghetti, Grape Nuts, yogurt, green beans, and so on, with peanut butter.

1 comment:

FranIAm said...

Fascinating!