Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Michigan Radio: My NPR Station, Liberabliss

I never thought that I could be
quite so educatedly nerdy
As when I was bit by the NPR bug
And now I wonder how I got around
As stupid as a bathroom rug

Before, it was DJs pranking calls
Mimicking farts and old person falls
Mildly racist jokes and bad music
Mornings with Sam and Jack, or Todd and Dick "with Bimbo!"
Were enough to make this fallen intellectual sick

But from the heavens (or at least Ann Arbor)
Came the holiest Enpea Arr
And suddenly I began to know my ass
From the seat of my sensible car

Environmental reverie, and the dulcet tones of the World
The Story, and BBC
Suddenly I get an African American perspective with News and Notes, and dig on Diane Rhem
Good grief, now I can actually make a good argument

Okay, the rhyming began to wear on me, but:
I
HEART
http://www.michiganradio.org/

2 comments:

FranIAm said...

Absolute, total agreement.

I really got into NPR in 1994. (Freakish Catholic Alert) I gave up tv for Lent on year and I started to listen to NPR in earnest.

And rhyming aside,I had pretty much the same reaction.

And have been a dedicated listener since to WNYC in NY, KCRW LA when I lived there(possibly the BEST NPR station, BEST radio station ever) and now WAMC, Northeast Public Radio in Albany NY. (soon to be my new home)

I heart them all!!

FranIAm said...

oops meant to say I gave up tv for Lent THAT year!