Monday, September 24, 2007

How to Write a Novel in 30 Days

Writing a novel is a gruelling task. Creating characters that are multidimensional, a plot that is interesting, and conflicts that are meaningful is difficult. However, there is an easy way to write a novel in 30 days.

Just do it.

That's right. Quit complaining, procrastinating, outlining, and staring at the computer screen and write like your life depends on it for 30 days. Crap will emerge. However, from that crap you can craft your skillful epic, florid romance, experimental science fiction, or murder-mystery.


National Novel Writing Month gives you a good excuse to make it happen. When you sign up, you have extra impetus to write madly like a fiend for the entire month of November. You can get support and research assistance from other writers. At the end of the month, you emerge a novelist, having written 50,000+ words. Not only do you have a great manuscript to start editing, you also have removed any writer's block you may have experienced.


How is this possible?

  • Only writing is included in the month time frame (editing and fine tuning comes later)
  • Preparations can be made (you can come up with a plot and characters prior to writing)
  • Other writers locally and nationwide can help goad you into compliance

There are other ways to prepare yourself.

  • Learn about standard character development
  • Determine the genre of your work
  • Decide upon the main "take-aways" of your novel
  • Write a personal journal to warm up
  • Research any historical or geographical details
  • Think about the conflicts that guide the action in the novel

NaNoWriMo, as National Novel Writing Month is colloquially called, is becoming a phenomenon. Of the 79,000 participants in 2006, 13,000 completed their novels. Those are pretty good odds considering the number of times most of us have "decided to complete a novel" and then reneged.

Many thanks to the folks at NaNoWriMo for inspiring us to create, and fast!

2 comments:

Peggy Sue said...

Thank you so much for expressing your interest in my paintings. I see you are a Leonard Cohen fan. Me too.

I plan to set up a web site for art soon but for now would like to sell giclee prints of my paintings through my blog, most are 8.5" x 11.5" for $75 check or money order. P.O. Box 112, Friday Harbor, WA 98250.

hmmm a novel in a month huh...

again, thank you for your interest.

Sincerely, Peggy Sue

Imti said...

Hi Rion,

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to reply on your comments before. I was so moved to read your post about your partner (rock my world), I almost cried. I feel like I'm getting to know you all over again after Bard. Thanks for being my friend.

Way belated happy birthday, sweetie. Next year, I won't be so late.

Oh, and btw, I would reward you with a big, big bear hug next time I see you if you put my blog on your fave list. :-)

Have fun. And no more long drives or rest stops, ye hear?