Saturday, December 8, 2007

I've got tasty balls...

...fruitcake balls!

I've created a scrumptious way to use leftover homemade mincemeat. I had thought of using it in my yogurt in the morning, but then, rum raisin yogurt seemed a little over the top for breakfast. So, I made Fruitcake Balls.

2 - 3 c. meat-free mincemeat
8 dates
1 c. coconut
1.5 c. almond meal
1 c. mixed walnuts and almonds (soaked and dehydrated, as in NT)
1 tsp. almond extract

Blend the mincemeat in a food processor until pretty smooth- not like a paste, but between a paste and a fine minced texture. Add the dates and blend again. Add the dried, unsweetened coconut. Add the nuts (leave a 1/4 cup out). Add enough almond meal so that the mixture starts to make a thick "dough". Kind of like the texture of meatball mix. Add the extract. A couple tablespoons of good rum would be excellent in this (I didn't add it, since the mincemeat was already a touch rummy). Then blend the 1/4 c. nuts until they are chopped (not minced) for a little texture.

Roll the mixture into balls, then roll each ball in cocoa powder. Store in a plastic container in the refrigerator.

These are great once the earthy flavor of the cocoa integrates with the fruitiness of the mincemeat and the buttery nuts.

This could be a cookie that even non-health-food types would like!

3 comments:

Donna said...

Hmm. These little balls are intriguing. I'd have to taste one before I went all out on making them though.

CresceNet said...

Gostei muito desse post e seu blog é muito interessante, vou passar por aqui sempre =) Depois dá uma passada lá no meu site, que é sobre o CresceNet, espero que goste. O endereço dele é http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . Um abraço.

digitalcowgirl said...

yum! I will try to make these soon!