Saturday, December 8, 2007

Perfect Pitch

Musicians and songsters dream about the miracle of having perfect pitch: being able to start on the right note every time without a musical instrument. My latest musical discussions and activities have made me think about my life, the perfect pitch of it, right now.

My authentic voice is coming out now, very frequently. The voice may not be lovely all the time, skilled, or even passable-- but it is authentic. I'm shining forth with myselfness-- and it makes me more able to be full of loving-kindness, genuine curiosity about the world, and a spirited way of living in the now.

So what am I doing?

1) I am not doing Christmas presents this year. I decided that my family and friends would be better off with a genuine expression of my love. So, I will send a carefully-written Christmas letter, full of our family's adventures. Who needs another $15 gift card to Applebee's, anyhow? This is the best Christmas ever. I'm planning for the joviality of Christmas: the songs! The laughter! Catching up with people. Socializing. Quiet moments with my family and friends. The beauty of nature and all its works. Christmas carols! Pretty lights!

2) I've joined the OutLoud chorus. Yes, I am partnered with a man, but we are both bi, but I'm in the LGBT chorus. Although this concept is a little alien to my fellow choristers, we have a fantastic time learning songs and joking around. Everyone is remarkably cheerful and friendly. Once again I'm stretching my voice, practicing my performance skills, and paying attention to the length of notes and the flow of the lyrics. The concert is in February. What's more, the concert focuses on my favorite tunes--torch songs and toe tappers! What a great way to add joy to the world, and meet people.

3) I'm holding fast to my nutritional goals. I'm not sneaking white flour brownies, aspartamey soda pop, or naughty carb-only meals. I remain headache-free, tummyache-free, and lighter than usual. This doesn't mean that I don't have sweets. I did create a fantastic dessert, which is in the next blog article: fruitcake balls!

4) I'm developing career-wise. I requested some development of my marketing skills at my workplace, and it seems my bosses are glad to oblige me. Even with a lot of churn in the department, they respect me enough to help me grow into a position I'm proud and excited to fill every day. They've praised my flexibility, intelligence, and knowledge. So, being bold enough to ask for more has worked. No, I didn't ask for more money, I asked for more change-- and I got it!

5) I'm building community. I helped plan a party for my psychic/meditation group. Violeta, an instructor, was gracious enough to offer her home for the gathering of the Ann Arbor/Detroit area folks. I even met a lot of the new people, talking about spiritual healing of pets, and enjoyed making naughty jokes that cracked the group up. Ah, the joys of malt beverage. Someone brought in raspberry "beer" that turned out to be like a Zima! Just half of one and I was on fire. People kept saying they should give me more alcohol all the time. I love my peeps.

So, those are just a few examples of how I'm living in harmony with my deeper goals. So: "Hit me with a hot note and watch me bounce!"

1 comment:

FranIAm said...

I loved reading this!

Great for you Rion- you are evolving and very beautifully at that.